Areas, Crops and Systems

Climate | Geology and Soils | Areas, Crops and Systems | Infrastructure

blue-line

Crops and Areas



The Orange River is the primary source of water for the JIA irrigation scheme. The water released from the large dams upstream from the JIA are managed by the Department of Water Affairs of South Africa.  The large dams include the Gariep and the Van der Kloof Dams.

The scheme has an allocation of 883.7 hectares with a quota of 15 000 m³ per hectare from the river, which is equivalent to an annual volume of 13.256 Mm3.

A wide range of crops are cultivated on both sides of the Orange River. 283.2 hectares of the enlisted land are in Namibia, and the balance of 600.5 hectares is in South Africa.

The top 10 crops that makes out 87% of the total area under irrigation are Lucerne, Grapes, Tomatoes, Butter-nut, Baby Marrows, Mangoes, Green-beans, Pumpkin, Gem-squash and Peppers.  The graph to the left provides an indication of the different crops areas during 2013.

 

 

The map below provides and spatial distribution of the crops over the JIA during 2013. The legend below the map provides the respective crops while selecting a specific field will provide the associated JIA field number. The respective canal names can be seen by selecting the canal markers.



Legend: Crop Types: | Lucerne  Grapes  Tomatoes   Butternut  Baby Marrows   Mangoes  Greenbeans  Pumpkin   Gemsquash   Peppers   Others| Canals: Canal Section Names:

View crops types in a larger map.


 

Irrigation systems


Systems_smaller

During 2013, 41% of the the irrigation methods used the JIA were flood irrigation. The remaining 59% of the irrigation systems used by the JIA are highly efficient.

The diagram to the right provides and overview of the % area irrigated by different irrigation systems in the JIA. The map below provides the spatial distribution of different irrigation systems in the JIA.

As a result of the rising energy prices there is a new interest in flood irrigation systems (no energy required). With this interest came the realisation that flood systems must be more efficient; this is exactly what can be achieved with the laser-levelled preparation of land.

The first laser-levelling of land in the JIA scheme took place in 2012, when one of the farmers bought the necessary equipment. To date, approximately 42 ha have been laser levelled, with very satisfactory results.

An image of a field after being prepared by laser levelling can be found here.

 

 

The map below provides and spatial distribution of the irrigation systems used in teh JIA during 2013. The legend below the map provides the respective types of systems while selecting a specific field will provide the associated JIA field number. The respective canal names can be seen by selecting the canal markers.



Legend: Irrigation Systems: | Drip   Flood   Central Pivot   Micro   Laser Flood   Sprinkler   Overhead | Canals: Canal Section Names:

View irrigation systems in a larger map.